Friday, February 1, 2013

Today, UPS delivered our first shipment of Websters Chalk Paint Powder and Fiddes Waxes.
Anticipating the arrival, I had the little hutch top painted, two tone blue and the drop leaf table to match. As I had hoped, it made a great display.
It's pretty well known that we love "Miss Mustard Seeds Milk Paint" and always will. We just wanted to give you another option. Since we first started painting we've used a combination of Milk Paint and Chalk Paint. Both are wonderful and work beautifully when transforming our pieces. They each have their own uses and styles. I like Milk Paint if I want a more primitive or chippy look. Chalk Paint is a thicker more dense paint, it gives you a more solid coverage. Don't get me wrong, they both distress well, chip and look old. It just how you decide to apply each.
Before I promote any product, I need to believe in it. For awhile we have been testing Websters Chalk Paint Powder. The black desk is one of the examples we have in the shop (if it hasn't already sold). The paint is easy to mix, I put it in a Ball jar - powder and water, stirred it, added the latex paint - lid on and gave it about a 30 second vigorous shake. It mixes beautifully, smooth and creamy. When applied it seems to be self-leveling. No brush marks and a very even coverage with two coats. I was pleased at the amount of paint I had left over when the desk was finished, it went along way. I then followed it with Miss Mustard Seed's wax. Websters promotes Fiddes waxes, we do have them in stock - two colors. I have not had the chance to try it, it's not odorless and since we are painting inside I felt it would be better to wait until I could open the door. I will say, it is creamy to the touch and the brown is a wonderfully rich color. Hopefully, I will get to try it and give you my opinion soon.

The best part about Websters, actually there are a couple things.
 #1 - The cost is very reasonable, $13.95 for the bag of powder that will mix with a quart of latex.  The Fiddes wax is $18.95 and is a good size can.
#2 - The BESTEST part is that you are not limited to just a few colors. You can mix the Websters Chalk Paint Powder with ANY latex paint. That means that the sky is the limit when it comes to color or finish. You can use satin to gloss. No more being limited, think of the possibilities. I just stand in the paint section at Home Depot (my home away from home) and imagine all the pieces I can makeover and the fun colors. You can even take a color of something you like and have it matched. My preference is Behr paint. It has a built in primer and is a wonderful texture. 

If you'd like to learn more, stop in the shop and I'll be glad to show you just how easy it is to use. We also have a workshop schedule that outlines all our upcoming classes. We even have one called... First Friday Sit and Sip.  Guess what we do there? You guessed it, paint, sip wine and relax.

Come on in and become a do-it-yourselfer.
Patti




No comments:

Post a Comment