Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Continuing on my project

 This is a continuation of my 1930's transformation. I want to show you the before pictures and the same pieces as they receive a makeover and second life.
 These are custom shades. With an idea of colors in mind,  I took  several MMS Milk Paints and mixed them. The body of the vanity is a combination of 90% Ironstone and 10% Shutter Gray. The trim, hardware and main drawer are 90% Typewriter and 10% Shutter Gray. By combining the colors I achieved soft subtle shades that were very popular in the 1930's. (this photo is before I used the antiquing wax so it's still very light)
 The hardware was originally gold and from years of use the metal base was showing on most of the pulls. I painted over it with the Typewriter/Shutter Gray combo, and then distressed with sandpaper, waxed it with the Antiquing Wax and added a touch of silver gilding wax.
 This is the photo of the first coat of paint
 This is the finished look. Notice how the silver over the distressing gives it a vintage look. You can also see the color the drawers and body will be when waxed.  The antiquing wax deepens the color.

 This is the before photo of the wonderful carved trim. I wanted to keep it simple, they're already ornate enough.
 This is the first coat of the charcoal color. I still have to distress and add the gilding wax.
 A finished photo of the trim on the main drawer. You can see how it was painted, distressed and then the gilding wax was added. Just a touch of glitz.

 The main drawer is totally done in charcoal. I thought it would be really boring to have it all light.
Tomorrow I will put on the final coats of paint, distress and add all the gilding. Really looking forward to sharing the finished piece. Then to start the chest that matches it. It's going to be a wonderfully romantic and nostalgic set.

Till then, be creative.
Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment