Sunday, December 9, 2012

1930's Art Deco Vanity and Chest

Today, I started working on our 1930's Art Deco Vanity. We've had it for awhile but until this morning had no idea of how I would paint it. I had several combinations in mind but when it came to actually taking the first step, I stalled out.  It's not just the vanity, there's also a matching chest of drawers.

It has a lot of scrapes and the finish is missing in several areas. One thing for sure, the detailing is fantastic and fortunately, has not been damaged.

The handles are very unique. After all these years, the finish has been rubbed off the metal in spots but all the centers are intact. They seem to be made of  a composite of some kind.

You can see from this photo the worn spots on the trim. If you were in your 80's, you'd have a little noticeable wear as well.

 My plan is to do it in a very light grey with charcoal trim. Finishing with a few coats of dark wax. The end result will blend and soften the entire look and highlight the carvings and moldings. I have the first coat on the vanity, and drawers. I'm painting the handles in the charcoal and may add a little gold wax for a hint of the gilded look from the 30's.

Give me a few days and I'll post my progress.

Keep warm and safe in this crazy weather.
Patti

1 comment:

  1. Hi Patti,
    How did it turn out? I have one very similar to yours.

    ReplyDelete