Thursday, August 30, 2012

Back to the 50's.

 While shopping for projects last week, I came across this 1950's desk. It was the blonde wood, very boring and in need of a little TLC.  I knew what I thought would be the color choice, but asked on Facebook for advice. Black and Pink, Aqua and Pink or my choice Aqua and a Sunflower yellow/gold. You can see what won out.

The first step was to fill in any imperfections in the wood. A little spackle, sanding and good as new. Next was to paint the drawers. The outsides were in good shape but the insides needed a little touch up. They had ink and pencil marks and someone even tried different spellings of the word Peach.. Peech, Paech and finally Peach. To heck with paper... use the drawer!!!!

I chose a soft off white to finish the insides. Then came the outsides, the color is called Arles but I like to say Sunflower yellow. Not bright yellow, just yellow with a hint of warm gold.
 Now to tackle the desk. All the sanding was done and the paint went on so smoothly. The color is called Provence. A better description would be to call it a 50's aqua. The photo shows it a little bluer than it really is.

 Before I even purchased the desk, I had been playing with different restorations. This little foot stool was dark laminate "picture of wood" - with torn fabric for the top and stained. It wasn't meant to go with the desk but once I get the chair done.. it will be nice to sit and put your feet up while reading a book.

The same for this little galvanized bucket. It was just fun to play with it... cute little waste basket or wonderful to put bunches of flowers in (especially those sunflower bouquets you can get at the farmers market).

One thing - it's going to be hard to part with this desk. It makes me happy just to look at it. Who knows if nobody wants it, maybe I'll have to make myself an office.

Well, I better get back to work. Hope you enjoyed the show and tell.

Later,
Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment