Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Quick & Easy Distressing Tip

This tip has saved me a lot of time and made distressing a breeze.

Supplies:   Sandpaper #80 or #120 Grit  and Baby Wipes (not cleaning wipes)

This step is done after you've applied your paint and it's fully dried. If possible I like to wait til the next day.

Distressing is a personal preference. I like to distress mostly around the edges and any relief carvings,
Depending on the number of coats of paint you've applied, ease of distressing will vary. The grit of the sandpaper will help make this stage easier. FYI, the number of the sandpaper determines how fast it will remove the paint. The smaller the number - the coarser the grit - the faster the paint comes off. 

I generally use #120, it removes gently, so I don't take off too much. If I want to remove it faster and a larger area, I go for the #80. This is where the baby wipes come in handy. If you take the baby wipe and gently wipe the surface, it dampens the paint. When the paint is damp, it comes off VERY easily. At this point I don't apply a lot of pressure, the paint comes off with very little effort.

After you've done your distressing, take a clean baby wipe and go over your entire piece. This will show you exactly what your project will look like when you wax or poly it. Before putting the finish on, give the paint a little time to completely dry from the baby wipe.

Happy transforming,
Patti

** All the tips I share are for use with "Websters Chalk Paint Powder".

No comments:

Post a Comment