Sunday, March 24, 2013

Grannie Kathleen's Handmade Doilies


 It's a well known fact that I like handmade things. Since I can remember, my Grandmother, Mother and Aunts all had doilies on their dressers, end tables and side tables. As I got older and had my own home, I had doilies too.

Many of you know Patti Hokanson from her years at Fabric Town and her Long Arm Quilting company - "Quilts from the Trail". Many years ago, she gave me a doily that her Mother had made for me. I've kept it all this time and really love it. I brought it to the shop to use on a table as just display. We had other doilies in the shop that were for sale so I thought mine would be fine if it wasn't. Naturally, that would be the one, out of all of them that everybody wanted. 

One of the reasons I think my doily was noticed, it's made by hand and not by a machine in China. The difference is very noticeable.

Awhile back, Patti's Mom moved from Michigan to live with her in Eagan. Grannie Kathleen and her crochet hook were close by. To our delight, she was willing to make us a selection to offer our customers at the shop.

 Yesterday, a bag was dropped off at the shop. Grannie had been a busy lady.
 This is the tag that is pinned to each of her hand crocheted doilies.
 I love that this pattern is from the 50's.

 There are several different styles, sizes and colors.  



       This is my favorite. I love the lacy look. Sounds strange but they have always reminded
 me of snow flakes.

 Next time you're visiting us at the shop, you'll see Grannie Kathleen's  lovely handwork on our tables and shelves. Take one home and add a soft touch to your dresser or as a wonderful gift for a friend.

Nancy and I want to Thank Grannie for the wonderful addition to our shop.

As always, keep creating....
Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment