Monday, October 15, 2012

Today's Color of the day - Florence.

 Yesterday was day two of Next Act's Grand Opening. It was wonderful. All the hard work was well worth it.
 After we closed at 4:00 and it got quiet, I decided to start a project to wind down. This little nightstand/end table was sitting there waiting for a makeover. I had just picked up some new paint colors. I decided to audition "Florence". I liked it, the photo doesn't show the real color - it's more turquoise then aqua.

I removed the plastic knob wiped it down and got started. I managed to give it a first coat before I called it a day.
 This morning when I got in, I gave it a second coat - very lightly. I wanted it to look old and be able to distress it so the real wood showed through in spots. Once that was done, I went to Home Depot and picked up a new knob. There you have it, a really nice little end table or nightstand with storage in the bottom and a shelf you can put your magazines or books in.
 What would make it even more functional? A really cute chair. The chair is old, not sure how old but from the original fabric on the seat I'd say 1950's. It actually had two layers of fabric, both were old and worn. I went to the store and picked up this simple country check fabric. It was not the easiest color to match a fabric to. I know you can't see it in the photo but there's a really tiny thread in a gold color that weaves through the check. I like the way it turned out. Very simple and the slightly off white background is crisp. I added a small stencil to the center of the backrest, just to give it a special touch.
Here it is as a set. I'm really pleased with the finished look. Now to see who the lucky person is that takes them home. I think one of the hardest parts of this new job is trying not to get too attached to the pieces. I hope you enjoy watching what I do. I can tell you that I have a passion for this, it's very calming and peaceful for me. I like to spend time in my workshop just planning and painting.

Nancy is the financial part and I'm the creative end. I've been painting for years and love working with textures and colors. If the response keeps up the way it has been this past few weeks -  I can see Next Act going the distance.

If there's something you're looking for or if you have something you would like to have a makeover on, give me a call at the shop (952) 432-5001. We're open Thursday thru Sunday . Stop in and see what we've done and if we can help you with a project.

Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment