Saturday, November 17, 2012

Getting ready for an event.

 Awhile ago, I signed up to vend at the "Holiday Market" at the Kelleman's Event Center in White Bear Lake, it's part of the 'Winterfest" Celebration.  I hadn't done a handmade craft kind of event in a while, mostly for the past 20+ years it's been Quilt Shows. Prior to that I was the Queen of the Glue Gun.

I decided it would be fun to make holiday crafts... ornaments, garlands etc. Well, it seems that I am quite out of touch with the Crafting world. I tried my hand at a few things and just wasn't pleased. Then I decided to go the route that I am most comfortable - painted things. Fun, inexpensive pieces for your home.

I asked Nancy to find me some smaller pieces that I could work on to take to the market. Nothing to large but a few chairs, tables a magazine rack or two. And she found a great selection. The photo above is just a little sample of the before projects, they will all have wonderful makeovers before the show.


 I started on this bench yesterday. It's older, I don't think I would go as far as to say vintage but it's at least the 60's. It was in pretty good shape and solid, so I didn't have to do much. I left the nicks and small dents on it - those are called Character marks. Funny, on our bodies they call them old age spots.

 It had been previously painted, drips and runs all over and very scuffed up. Here it is after a coat of fresh paint. When the other coats are on, I will lightly distress the edges and then  hand rub a few coats of wax on it. I want a soft finish, no glossy shine, just a soft patina.

I'm learning to recover seats. I didn't say I was good at it but I have been getting better and the last chairs I did looked very nice. This seat is going to be done in the fabric below. I purchased it awhile ago, I was just saving it for the right piece to come along.
The color shows as a limey- green background. It's really a pretty yellow. When this little bench arrived at my workshop, it had a nappy tan covering on the seat...boring!!! This is going to really perk it up. It should be done on Monday. I'll post the "After" photo. I also have some Chalkboards and picture frames in the works. I am amazed as how fast we sell out on both.

I will be bringing some of the paint to sell as well. I got an email asking if I could bring it and explain how it works. I will gladly do that.

Be sure to tell your friends about the event. Here's the details again.

"Holiday Market"
Kellerman's Event Center 
2222 Fourth Street    White Bear Lake

December 1st    10:00 -3:00

I hope to see you there.

Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment