Wednesday, March 20, 2013

The Subtle Textures of Age

Once again I forgot to take my "Before" photos.  If I could describe what this dresser looked like before I got started, I'd have to say very worn, dry and maybe a little sad. I say sad, because there was a time when it was new, stained and varnished and  proudly standing in someones bedroom. Pieces of furniture are like people, they have a story - some kind of history. Unfortunately, by the time I get to work on many of them, their story is unknown and if they don't get a makeover their history will end up at the local landfill.

This piece was sturdy, the drawers are a bit worn inside but it stands tall and is still extremely functional. It arrived at the shop close to when we opened. It has been sitting in the corner waiting it's turn and finally the time arrived.

I had to make the decision on what type of paint I would use and then color. Something subtle would be my first choice. But I didn't want your typical cream or antique white. Too many pieces are just painted with those two colors and nothing creative or unique is done to them. This piece needed a little more - but nothing fancy. No chipping, not high gloss finish, just natural for its age.

With my decision made, I went to Home Depot to get my paint. I was going to use Websters Chalk Paint Powder and turn a latex into Chalk Paint. I chose my colors "Clear Pond" for the body and "Silky White" for the drawers.
 I put a very think coat of both colors onto the dresser. It went on and immediately was absorbed, the wood was dryer than I imagined. As I let the paint dry, I noticed that it was giving itself a very worn, but wonderful finish. The old varnish that was left in spots was turning the paint different shades. I realize it's hard to see from my photos. 

With the paint being absorbed and the shading it couldn't have been better. Without much effort on my part I had achieved the look I wanted, Subtle and Vintage. Now to distress a bit and apply a topcoat.
Here is a close up of how the  paint was absorbed, it looks darker in those areas. The edges are slightly distressed and a very thin coat of poly was applied to seal the finish. This application also added to the texture, it gave a yellowing like with age as the old varnished came to the surface.
This is what the finished dresser looks like. I took these photos with my phone so they aren't the best quality. You really need a close up look to see how wonderfully old and subtle it looks.

I hope it gets a home where it will continue it's story and make a fresh history with a new family. If you think you'd like to adopt this wonderful piece, come visit us at the shop. We open tomorrow at 10:00 AM.

Keep Creating,
Patti

No comments:

Post a Comment